Quite often we are teaching teachers, but not teaching them the way we want them to teach.
The goal was to use a different model to have teachers learn about technology, think deeply about content and become engaged.
This was based on a graduate level technology course. Many of the comics were created by teachers who didn't want to be there.
Why comics creation?
- Builds visual literacy
- Sustains interaction with content
- Enhance motivation
- Has potential for dual controversy
- Values multiple perspectives
- Appeals to males
- a forum to voice concerns
- honest observations
- safer- non-threating environment that allows for expression, questioning
- Sustains the question until the learning has a place of understanding
- Attends to complexity and discourages the search for the simple
- Embraces a 'punch line'- the counter-intuitive option
- Choose a comic making tool
- Partner on content
- Start with a single panel prompt
- Introduce an "in-service question"
- Then try a multi-panel comic
Comiqs- Online pc version of Comic Life
Bitstrips - school account available
Make Beliefs Comics
Act 48 code: AL052162